Patsy Stone on Politics

Politics. Royals. Hockey. Not necessarily in that order.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Fantino Out

Just a quick post here...

I was catching up on the Toronto news, and read that police chief Julian Fantino's contract is not being renewed.

I'd like to defend Fantino if I can. Simply put, the Toronto media never gave Fantino a break. He couldn't do anything right.

I saw him as a no-nonsense, very capable, and caring person. The media backlash over corruption and racism allegations, although very important to investigate and root out, unfairly targeted Fantino. It's not an easy job to dodge verbal and bureaucratic bullets when your officers are getting shot at every weekend and your good work is being ignored.

I guess that sometimes when the going gets tough, the tough get sidelined. In this case, a real shame. From someone who's lived in Toronto for the past few years, I'd like to thank Fantino for his work. Hats off.

To his replacement: better get used to the wrath of the almighty Toronto Star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home