Patsy Stone on Politics

Politics. Royals. Hockey. Not necessarily in that order.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

On thorny social issues...

I'd like to clear up a few things. Over the past month we've been bombarded with "Scary Harper" propaganda. I'd like to point something out, at least in regards to that most contentious of issues, abortion.

First off, I'm wholeheartedly pro-choice. Completely, 100%, etc... I'm also a feminist, and proud of it.

What annoys me, however, is the fear mongering that, in my opinion, (b/c that's the joy of a blog!) has become only slightly ridiculous. The fear mongering that treats Canadians like they can't think for themselves.

To anyone legitimately afraid that the Conservatives, if in power, would try to pass any abortion law, I say this: do the (relatively) simple math.

An abortion law WOULD NEVER PASS in the Canadian House of Commons. NEVER. Why, you ask? Simply put, I'd put money down that the majority of Conservative candidates and MPs are pro-choice. Or at least are too busy cutting taxes to care one way or the other. That being said, the vast majority of Liberal MPs and candidates are pro-choice (except for Tom Wappel, etc...). I also believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the entire Bloc Quebecois and NDP parties are pro-choice.

So let's add up a few numbers... if anyone out there can explain to me how this current equation would ever add up to an abortion law passing, then let me know. The rest of you... quit worrying! I'm a woman, I have a uterus, and I have no fears whatsoever about abortion legislation passing. (Now the States, that's another matter. The religious right in the U.S. is quite powerful.)

End of story.



1 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger None said…

    I think you're approaching this from the wrong direction. Rather than taking the Conservative Party and trying to explain why they wouldn't be able to implement a socially conservative agenda, why not look for a party that actually supports socially progressive views?

    Abortion legislation might not be likely to pass, but how will they decide the next social issue that comes before them?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home