Patsy Stone on Politics

Politics. Royals. Hockey. Not necessarily in that order.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The best damned show on TV...

Over the past few years I've watched very few "new" shows on the boob tube. Content to watch repeats of Sex and the City, Everybody Loves Raymond, the Golden Girls, and yes, Dallas, on DVD or TBS, I need to do a posting about my favourite "new" show, which isn't really new because I've been watching it on NBC for a year and a half.

The Office, really is the best "new" show on TV and is now starting to finally get the acclaim it deserves. Let it be said that I liked The Office when NBC wasn't even sure they'd renew it for a (full) season two. Of course, the BBC original with Ricky Gervais as David Brent is brilliant in its own way, but so is the American version. And true, it's not often the American version of a sitcom can live up to its British original. Coupling, anyone?

A quick run through of why I love The Office.

1) Steve Carell is a comic genius. No one does deadpan like Steve. I'm just worried he'll leave TV to make more money in movies, a la David Caruso. Remember when David Caruso left NYPD Blue to make millions in Hollywood? ;)

2) Jim and Pam. The best, cutest, loveable-st couple on TV. Jim, played by John Krasinski, is my new TV hunk. So gorgeous. I hear he's up next in a movie with Mandy Moore. Pam, played by Jenna Fischer, is the perfect "girl next door." Love these two.

3) Dwangela. Brangelina-esque nickname for the incredibly creepy, pervy Dwight and his anal accountant love, Angela. I love the sneaky romantic tension between these two. Like a train wreck you just can't avoid looking at.

4) Supporting cast --- every member of the cast has a special loveable quality. Phyllis is one of my special favourites. The actress that plays Angela is very different than her character. I think she has a Myspace page. (As do several other of the actors in the cast, including Jenna Fischer.)

5) The writing is clever, brilliant, laugh out loud, painfully funny.

But, don't take my word for it, watch it on Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. If you've ever worked from a cubicle, endured awful staff meetings and obnoxious, clueless bosses, this is the show for you.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger None said…

    It is excellent, and what is more impressive is that both the British and American series managed to succeed, once the American one marked out its own territory. While nothing could ever top for me the scene where David Brent is fired ("on today of all days, the day of laughter"), the American series is exceptional television.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home